The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old December 22, 2004, 20:00   #1
HawaiiFALer
Registered

FALaholic #: 7768
Question Identify my FAL lower receiver

How do you tell the difference between a G-1, FN, and Austrian StG-58 lower receiver?

The receiver is marked for the selector switch with S, E, D. The serial number font is the fancier numerals with serifs. The insides have the lightening relief cuts.

The parts are metric, including the pistol grip attachment method. The sights are metric. Action lock lever is 90 degrees to the length of the receiver. The recoil shield shape looks like a Type 1.

Finish may have been redone. It is now blued.

It may have been changed, the buttstock is an original StG-58.

Receiver is a standard, not a para.

Thanks,
HawaiiFALer
HawaiiFALer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2004, 20:23   #2
Bruce Allen
Registered

FALaholic #: 186
See this thread:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ID%2A

The metric lower receivers will all be basically the same, with the one of the few obvious differences being the buttpad.
Occasionally the G1's will have a wood pistol grip and buttstock.
Some early STG's may have had the wood pistol grip, but the buttstock had the rubber buttpad, I think.

The G1's are universally a metal buttplate/pad with a spring loaded opening, and the STG58's had a rubber one.

Check FAQ's for all you ever wanted to know.
Old December 22, 2004, 23:21   #3
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
The selector markings indicate a G1 or STG lower.A G1 will have the internal lightening cuts whereas an Austrian STG will not. My G1 has the "fancy" lettering, my STG is pretty much plain block.
Sounds like a G1 to me - nothin' wrong with that

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

Last edited by J. Armstrong; December 22, 2004 at 23:31.
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2004, 02:58   #4
Mr pogo
Registered

FALaholic #: 5
Internal lightening cuts and "fancy" lettering are characteristics of the Belgian made G1 and Stg lowers. Austrian made Stg lowers have no lightening cuts and the selector lettering is more plain and not as deep IIRC.
Another characteristic unique to Austrian made lowers is the rear shoulder angle below the rear sight. It is steeper and when attached to a nonStg buttstock there will be a mismatch where the shoulders meet.
I am not 100% sure but I believe the Belgian made Stg lowers will have the nonStg shoulder angle which is more horizontal.

There was a thread a few years ago about the differences, may still be findable with search.
Old December 23, 2004, 04:09   #5
Mr pogo
Registered

Here it is, pics still there too. Strange it never made it into the reference section but hey

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...threadid=41949
Old December 23, 2004, 08:01   #6
Bruce Allen
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr pogo
Here it is, pics still there too. Strange it never made it into the reference section but hey

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...threadid=41949
Good job... I vaguely remembered that thread and forgot entirely about your excellent pics.
Thanks again.

HawaiiFALer - did this answer your question?
My last FAL was built on a G1 lower and STG upper. I like the internal lightening cuts.

Moderators: can the thread Mr. Pogo referred to be added to the FAQ list?
Old December 23, 2004, 12:43   #7
Mr pogo
Registered

Your welcome Bruce, found another one that I remember.
No pics left any more but reminded me of the "Belgian cut" term, havent heard that one in a long time
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...&threadid=4309

But noobs should read what Roland (usrrd) does say, he is exBGS and very knowledgeable about Euro Fals.
Old December 23, 2004, 16:55   #8
HawaiiFALer
Registered

FALaholic #: 7768
Yes. You have all been a big help. I guess I have a Belgian made StG-58 lower. No wonder the composite StG stock does not meet the contours of the lower.

Having it lighter is nice. I'm putting together a carbine. 18" StG barrel with short gas tube. This mentioned StG lower. Imbel type 3 upper receiver. Imbel bolt and carrier. Smaller parts might be a mix. L1A1 folding charging handle. Inch safety switch. Appropriate U.S. parts. FSE h/t/s. U.S. stock set. U.S. muzzle thingy. U.S. piston.

Did my lower receiver come blued by the FN factory? It is a decent blue-black. The underlying metal has the machining marks in the factory pattern, that is longitudinal but up-and-down in the recoil shield to butt attaching area.

Thanks for all the help. Merry Christmas to All !
HawaiiFALer
HawaiiFALer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2004, 18:03   #9
Bruce Allen
Registered

The finish could have been several ways, including blued.

What kind of finish was under the pistol grip?
There is virtually the only place it cannot be worn off and remains intact.

If you read the thread posted by Mr. Pogo, it was about virtually the same topic and I posted of helping a friend assemble a rifle from a worn G1 kit into a 18" bbl FAL carbine. It was on an IMBEL receiver, plastic pistol grip and buttstock and it was noticably lighter than my STG 58 17" carbine, with plastic pistol grip and wood buttstock.

I built two more FAL's using the bargin basement price of TAPCO on the G1 lowers on STG front ends, one for a friend and one for me.