• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

After 40 years, finally got burned .... I think

4markk

Military Observer
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
So, as the story goes, in April 2021, I walked into a local Class III dealer that's been in business here since 2015. I bought a Sandman-L for my SCAR.

Waited, and waited and waited for it to come in to start the Form 4.

Come January 2022, I walk in the store and say, really? WTF, where's the Sandman-L???

The Class III guy looked confused. I showed him my receipt. He said, "my bad, that slipped through the cracks." He said he had some .458 Primal's he could sell me for the same price and start the Form 4 now. I said, OK, we all make mistakes. He fills out the Form 4, takes my CC for the tax, prints a copy, attaches my receipt and hands me a copy. I say thanks, see you in a few months.

After 5 months my CC still hasn't been charged for the tax so I go into the store to see if he can nudge the ATF. He takes my info and says he'll see what he can do.

I've been out of town a lot dealing with my parents estate, so I kinda lost track. So, this weekend I go to the store to see if he has any updates. Well, the store is GONE!!!!! No sign, No NOTHING!!!!!

Phone number goes straight to a full mailbox.

I call the ATF this morning to get a status on the Form 4. Well, they have NO RECORD of it. Advise me I need to go to the local ATF office for any further help. Since the form was never filed, I suspect the suppressor doesn't exist, so there is nothing to claim. I guess I can try the CC company, but after 18 months, I doubt they can help.

After over 40 years of buying and selling firearms, I've never had a major screwup. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Last edited:

4markk

Military Observer
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Yep . . . it sucks !
And you also missed the "Coonan" circus ! . . . . close call
I did .... I actually probably got some of the last few Coonan receivers they shipped. But avoided the Entreprise goat screw totally.

So, I guess it was my turn.

Now I have to find another Class III dealer to start all over.

Abominog

FALaholic #
Never let stuff go without checking up. I know lots of guys who do and don’t get burned but now and then this is what happens.

a local body shop that did race and collectible cars operated on the “when we get to it” schedule, so the car owners often left cars for a year or two without follow up. One day someone got anxious and went to find the shop closed. Word spread quick, and dozens of owners found their cars in the grass in various states of disassembly. The shop owner had closed six months prior, moved out of state, and told nobody.

John A

FALaholic #
The local atf can at least inform you of who the primary person was in the FFL/Business so you can get in contact with them, or a warrrant for theft.

You will likely need a lawyer to sue him for your money. If he's dead, you can go after his estate.

This really sucks. Lots of FFL's giving up their licenses though. But they can still transfer their inventory once the paperwork is approved.

if they didn't submit the paperwork that is. And if they didn't, that will be a very big problem for the owner. Again, that's theft.

It's also a good idea to keep a copy of the paperwork and receipt.

2barearms

Contributor
FALaholic #
if he’s a local get his name and address and send Him a letter. If he doesn’t respond head to the DAs office
for potential charges maybe. It’s probably not worth all the effort unless u want a pound of flesh.

OMCHamlin

FALaholic #
Exactly this. It was very evident he doesn’t follow through with things the first time around
Well, I guess that point's been pretty well drove home. And yes, sometimes people DO do that, I suppose that's human nature? I HAVE whacked the crap outta my thumb with a hammer several times, and yet, I still pick up that hammer, and that nail...

ronpaulFAL

FALaholic #
Yeah that sucks man. I got burned back in 2016, put down $2500 by check on an EDM Windrunner. The guy dies, son keeps the money says nothing left in Dad’s estate. Son then starts a new gun company making a semi auto 50s out of the same shop likely with the same tooling.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
if he’s a local get his name and address and send Him a letter. If he doesn’t respond head to the DAs office
for potential charges maybe. It’s probably not worth all the effort unless u want a pound of flesh.
I've the point in life where, yes, a pound of flesh is worth it. I'd go after whomever this to recover whatever I could.

mp

FALaholic #
I have this exact same nightmare from some of my custom builds that have been at a gunsmith shop for an extended period of time. Which reminds me it might be time to bug some gunsmiths.....