• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Anyone else prefer the 20" ars?

ghostdevilguy

FALaholic #
This is the third one I've had, still kicking myself for getting rid of the a2 clone I built a few years ago. And an a1 or sp1 is on my list one of these days.

This one is my approach to an ideal a4.
It's a dsa m16a4 upper with the kac Rail
An aero lower, with a larue mbt trigger.
A cav arms a1 length a2 stock
Eotch

What's left;
Flashlight,
Flip to side magnifier
Ambi safety, charging handle, and bolt release.
Magpul moe grip

Attachments:

NK2000

FALaholic #
I got the itch too for an A1 build but I am staying more traditional. I got a Bushmaster Dissipator some years ago and this project started when I recently picked up a beat up set of M16A1 furniture that I refinished in a faux wood pattern that looks very realistic. All I am missing is the 20" barrel and the Vietnam 4x scope on the handle. I can't wait.

FP1201

FALaholic #
Of MANY that I've had, and a couple dozen that I still do have, hands down my favorite AR is an original configuration A1.
I built one using a Chrome lined Barrel (A1 reproduction) from Brownell's, Colt furniture, a vintage upper, (didn't go with a Chrome Bolt & Carrier but might) and a Colt 4x Carry Handle mounted scope (glass ain't all that good, but works!)
Light weight, easy for me to carry, and will most certainly do the job the round is capable of.

madrad62

FALaholic #
The 20" A2s certainly feel like a solid rifle,16" is easier to hump in the woods but after adding free float,acss and light its heavy. 10.3" is way easier in the woods and a small red dot and small light is a house clearing dreamboat. recently built a A1 and I can see eugenes original idea is pretty much spot on with balance,wieght distribution,length of pull and field sights. These days with old bleary eyes,just about everything has some sort of glass on it [ have to roll with the punches]. A year or so ago i built a 20" heavy barrel A2 w/ a 1x-4x lpvo and love it[except for weight, 11 lbs] with creedmoor 69 gr match it gets 1 1/4 moa [ confirmed at 300yds] not bad I figure for $1000.0. Other one I did w/ identical barrel but free floated it and used a 2x-7x bottom tier leupold [same 11. lbs] that one gets 7/8" moa, confirmed at 300 yds, same $ 1000.0 price tag. gotta love a 20",just need someone else to carry it around for me!

whisky_n_hot_dogs

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a 20" A2 pattern Colt upper on a random lower. It doesn't shoot particularly well but I keep it around because it’s a nice relic from the grey anodizing days. The price was hard to beat at $500 during the slump.
Ah dang it now I want to take it to 200 yards and ring steel

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
For most practical purposes I prefer a 20" barrel. It's less noise and maximum bullet performance. I have shorter ones for more specific uses, however.
What he said, 20 inches and a slow twist so it performs as it was designed before the European ‘it’s too effective“ fuckery got involved. Can anyone name one thing that NATO or the UN has touched that wasn’t a clown show?

K. Funk

Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I prefer 20" . Feels better, shoots better, performs better. I have one or two 16" that came along for the ride. They are handy and have a place, but the 20" are my go to.

krf

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I got the itch too for an A1 build but I am staying more traditional. I got a Bushmaster Dissipator some years ago and this project started when I recently picked up a beat up set of M16A1 furniture that I refinished in a faux wood pattern that looks very realistic. All I am missing is the 20" barrel and the Vietnam 4x scope on the handle. I can't wait.
I had a dissipator from Bushmaster. Sent the barrel and got it it turned down to a smaller profile. Ended up giving it to my SIL. Just never felt right with the extra gas block out on the end balance wise.

Firemedic8998

FALaholic #
20 inch pencil barrel, 1/12 or 1/14 twist, 55 gr ammo. 6.5 pounds in the M16A1/SP1 configuration. Full 3200 fps velocity and a barely stabilized projectile that doesn't rely on mushrooming to do tissue damage. It's the original recipe and still the best.

Never have understood the heavy AR thing. If I'm hauling around a 9 or 10 pound rifle I'd rather have one in a major caliber, thanks. But as always, YMMV.

357ross

FALaholic #
I never understood the fascination with shorter and shorter barrels in the AR, either. Even 20" is a little short for 223, but Stoner designed both the rifle and cartridge to function correctly and give decent ballistics at 20".

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
What he said, 20 inches and a slow twist so it performs as it was designed before the European ‘it’s too effective“ fuckery got involved. Can anyone name one thing that NATO or the UN has touched that wasn’t a clown show?
Might have started with the Swedes stipulation to FN for something that didn't tumble on contact and was 'less lethal',,, but the Marines were quick to jump on the bandwagon with their 'we need it to shoot further' complaints..The Army only followed along with the so called 'improvements'..

ghostdevilguy

FALaholic #
I never understood the fascination with shorter and shorter barrels in the AR, either. Even 20" is a little short for 223, but Stoner designed both the rifle and cartridge to function correctly and give decent ballistics at 20".
Shorter rifles came for a number of reasons. First it started with vehicle crews needing something more than a pistol to defend themselves, then as the military became more mechanized it became wide spread, talking about the m4. Operating out of a vehicle the m4 is easier to handle, and has benefits in close quarters fighting. It loses a lot at distance, but let's be honest, most people will never shoot past 100 yards. I knew a guy that thought you needed a 7mm magnum for a 75 yard shot. And once you get past 300 yards it becomes a lot harder to hit a target in dynamic environment. As to the super short rifles, aka the mk18, sf adopted it, and it has its benefits, but as soon as sf adopts anything people start to drool over it and push things into roles its not meant for. With a supressor it's the same length as an m4, its useful to 200 yards, but its meant for close quarters. And the way fighting works in the military, respond with more force than the enemy is giving. If they respond with rifles, respond with machine guns, if they respond with machine, respond with mortars, if they respond with mortars, call an airstrike. Fighting is very rarely done one on one, it's 5 to 1 these days. And rifles are used for suppressing so you can maneuver to a better position and get a better shot. Or at least that's how I was taught it.

NK2000

FALaholic #
I like the 20" barrels. I have an A2 configuration but I would like to convert it to an A1 upper with round A2 handguards. Eugene's triangular handguards weren't for me.

Jarhead
I find that if you grab the triangular at the front, it feels like a thin handguard (it is also thick at the rear if you need it). So it gives you some choice. I like the mean look of the triangular handguard that it gives the rifle. The A2 handguard looks like something out of a toy rifle, it does not look as impressive but I can see why people like it.

I also like the A1 grip but whole world seems to like the A2 nub instead, go figure.

357ross

FALaholic #
Yes there is a requirement for mission specific rifles such as this, but I'm talking about guys who buy these short barreled guns just for the cool factor, scope them up as if sniping, then complain because they 'won't hit anything' beyond 100 yards. One fellow had a 12" setup that made an impressive fireball and enough noise to wake the dead. He thought that was cool as hell but I'll bet he barely had 22mag ballistics.....

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I also like the A1 grip but whole world seems to like the A2 nub instead, go figure.
I've wondered this myself. I'll use either, neither have a benefit over the other AFAIC.

On the subject of grips, I walked into a LGS not long ago looking for a take off A1 or 2. Shop owner chuckled and says "Really?? People are usually taking those off, not putting them on". Gave me an A2 out of a parts pile for $5.

lew

FALaholic #
16" does it for me- general purpose, precision shooting to 700m, etc...- but I have a couple 14.5's. The only 20" I have is a 6.5CM. 18" for .308.

pistolero1911

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I prefer the 20" barrels as well. I have a few in that length and only one in 16". I also prefer the triangle hand guards, but that's a topic for another thread.