• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

FALs in CMPs "modern military" matches

usukz28

FALaholic #
Confession, I was one of the guys shooting an AR in the two-gun match. ARs are accurate ammo is cheaper and replacement parts like barrels are cheap, readily available plus easy to replace. I like the older rifles and for me shooting them is simply fun. CMP rules do allow repositioning of the sling swivel to permit shooting with a sling so your handguard mounted swivel should be permitted within the rules. An "as-issued" FAL will be in the CMP's "modern military rifles" class. In modern military there are two categories class A is for AR-15s and class B for semi-automatic military rifles of American, foreign manufacture or commercial rifles of the same type and caliber (DSA built FAL). The exterior configuration of the rifle must be similar to that of the original military rifle. The trigger pull may not be less than 4.5 pounds. magazines may have a capacity of no more than 30 rounds. Rifles must be equipped with standard issue-type metallic front and rear sights. The rifle may be chambered for any cartridge not exceeding caliber 8 mm. Basically, the rifle one shoots must be just like a rifle that would be issued to an average soldier not a specialized soldier like a sniper. In modern military class B you will be competing against like rifles such as M1a, AK-47 or 74, SKS, HK-91 or 93, FN-49 and FN SCAR. There are weight limits for each of these rifles. FALs are limited to 9.75 pounds not including sling and magazine. I do not weigh each rifle. If the rifle looks like a standard issued rifle its acceptable. Heavy barrels will exceed the weight limit.

Rudolf

Contributor
FALaholic #
Confession, I was one of the guys shooting an AR in the two-gun match. ARs are accurate ammo is cheaper and replacement parts like barrels are cheap, readily available plus easy to replace. I like the older rifles and for me shooting them is simply fun. CMP rules do allow repositioning of the sling swivel to permit shooting with a sling so your handguard mounted swivel should be permitted within the rules. An "as-issued" FAL will be in the CMP's "modern military rifles" class. In modern military there are two categories class A is for AR-15s and class B for semi-automatic military rifles of American, foreign manufacture or commercial rifles of the same type and caliber (DSA built FAL). The exterior configuration of the rifle must be similar to that of the original military rifle. The trigger pull may not be less than 4.5 pounds. magazines may have a capacity of no more than 30 rounds. Rifles must be equipped with standard issue-type metallic front and rear sights. The rifle may be chambered for any cartridge not exceeding caliber 8 mm. Basically, the rifle one shoots must be just like a rifle that would be issued to an average soldier not a specialized soldier like a sniper. In modern military class B you will be competing against like rifles such as M1a, AK-47 or 74, SKS, HK-91 or 93, FN-49 and FN SCAR. There are weight limits for each of these rifles. FALs are limited to 9.75 pounds not including sling and magazine. I do not weigh each rifle. If the rifle looks like a standard issued rifle its acceptable. Heavy barrels will exceed the weight limit.

yeah I wasn't allowed to use the trilux but they had a different class where I did compete against m1Ds and other sniper setups.

usukz28

FALaholic #
Last night at a local gun-rights organization meeting there was a guest speaker giving a presentation of his DSA built FAL. I thought I could recruit a new FAL competitor until he stated the last time, he fired his FAL was 3 years ago. Then he started complaining about the cost of the 20 rounds he had fired so long ago. Five or six years prior another guest speaker brought a heavy barreled FAL and raved about how wonderful his rifle was. He had purchased his FAL 15 years prior and had fired it once. This must be an Illinois illness! Who buys a $2,000 rifle and then never shoots it????? My FAL had 3,000 rounds through it before it was sold. My competition AR-15 is on its second barrel. The first barrel was replaced at 7,000 rounds. The firearm I fire the least, fires 20 rounds or a little more every 2 years. It's my grandfather's WW1 bring back from the Meuse-Argonne offensive, a 1914 pre-war commercial model C96 Mauser broomhandle with stock. If you have a C96 in 30 Mauser purchase Fiocchi's factory ammo. All other brands of 30 Mauser have proven to be very inaccurate due to undersized projectiles, plus none shot to point of aim. Only Fiocchi was accurate and shot dead-on to the sights.

usukz28

FALaholic #
Last Saturday at a pistol match I meet another typical Illinois FAL owner. He purchased a FAL back in the 70s or 80s and thinks he paid about $850. The rifle was shot a little back then. He is puzzled why it's marked "Browning" and Herstal Belgum. He has no intention of shooting or selling even though it's worth much more than $850 now. Illinois FAL owner do not shoot their rifles.

Venom6

FALaholic #
Most of us from Illinois that like FALs moved out a long time ago. And OBTW, Southern Illinois is south of I-64 not I-80. I-80 is considered the Chicago bypass since it is so far up north :rolleyes: šŸ˜Ž . Like WLS had as a tag line, "Just outside of Chicago, is a place called Illinois".
I grew up in a small town on the outskirts of Walmart.

usukz28

FALaholic #
Match attendance was ok for this time of year. Attendance usually falls off considerably when harvest season starts in this rural part of Illinois. Rifles fired were 2 M1 Garands, 2 AR-15s, 1 1903A3 Springfield, 1 M1917 (30-06 Enfield) and 1 M1a. Out of a possible 300 points the highest score went to the M1a with a score of 279/4X with a crossfire. We found the shot, a 10 so the high score should have been a 289/4x.

usukz28

FALaholic #
www.chiefcityshooters.com has our October 8th CMP match this Saturday starting at 1:00pm in the afternoon. This will likely be the last warm weather match. Our final match of the year is November 5th. I expect much cooler weather and poor attendance. Nearly all my normal shooters have told me they will not attend. It will be too cold for them. :cautious:

jaybob

FALaholic #
I shot a put together Tapco G1 kit in a CMP rifle match back in about 2001 or two something like that. Being it was the first rifle match I ever shot in, I was using South Afrikan milsurp ammo and that my G1 was well used I was rather proud scoring a 385.
This qualified me to buy my CMP Danish lend lease return Garand with VAR barrel. That Garand cost me the princely sum of 400 dollars at the time and has a 5 digit serial number number in the fourteen thousand range manufactured in 1939. Yes I still have it. wish I still had all of the FALs I built..... Divorce is a bitch, ha ha.