• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

What are AK kits running?

C2A1

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Looking at Bulgarian and Hungarian kits with original barrels. Gun broker an AMD 63 is almost $2K. Really?

whisky_n_hot_dogs

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
An original barrel is desirable but you can get a kit with new headspaced barrel for far less.

I put together one of their WBP kits recently and headspace was properly done and tight. Lead times are 8 weeks but I can’t complain about their work.

Smellycat

FALaholic #
I understand the desire to go with a original barrel, but for me, I'd rather go with a new barrel on my builds. I've done a couple AKs and they both have new barrels. I plan on shooting the crap out of those guns. Same with my Izzy FAL. I'm only at about 300 rounds out of my FAL....its been a slow start. I have a MAS 49/56 in the original 7.5 French that I love to shoot but know the gun is dead when the barrel runs out.

SmokeEater2

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
You guys ‘member those $89.00 like new Romy G kits that Bochephus sold on the files back in the day?

I really wish I’d bought more of those. For some reason Ak’s didn’t really interest me until recently. Damn it. :mad:

AliYahu

FALaholic #
Gunbroker is reality an isn't reality simultaneously. There's a ton of hacked accounts and non-paying bidders - it took 3 'sales' for me to actually sell a rifle, and the buyer then refused to pay sales tax.
Romy G kits with original barrels are $700-900, Bulgarian 74 kits - all AK-74 kits - are $1200+ and an original barrel adds a lot, Hungarian kits depend on the model but more than Romy G kits.

Eli

Last edited:

ftierson

FALaholic #
You guys ‘member those $89.00 like new Romy G kits that Bochephus sold on the files back in the day?

I really wish I’d bought more of those. For some reason Ak’s didn’t really interest me until recently. Damn it. :mad:
Funny how that works, isn't it...?

Perhaps an example of the forbidden apple syndrome...?

:)

Forrest

SmokeEater2

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
Funny how that works, isn't it...?

Perhaps an example of the forbidden apple syndrome...?

:)

Forrest

The bad part is that I'd not been paying any attention to AK prices over the last decade so I damn near stroked out when I decided I wanted one and went shopping.

Xsefan

FALaholic #
I had a Roman kit I paid 119 shipped to my door in 2006 from gunthings.com. I had a nds 1 or 3 (the cheaper one) I put it together in 2010 with tapco rivets. I had a take off us made arsenal trigger. I swapped the front lower handguard for a maddi one. I put maybe 300 to 500 round through it. In 2020 a guy wanted it so bad he gave me 4k for the rifle and 10 mags and 1000 rounds of tula. I almost feel bad and I miss my first ak built but, he offered . Gotta love norther California bay area prices.

C2A1

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks guys been looking at gun broker. My oh my. I am cleaning house and need to get rid of stuff. Done with the ak game. Sold the M92s a while back but have a couple of Hungarian, bulgy and other kits. They will come here before gun broker. (don't like gun broker).

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #

I bought 10 of them.

Shoulda bought 100....

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
$489 for a Slovakian parts kits NIB. Add $139 for a Green Mountain Barrel:

Those have serious issues, soft non-heat treated metal for the most part. Basically they were made by a company with zero experience with firearms and thought that all you have to do is cast and machine some parts out of whatever steel you have on hand.

Bubacus

FALaholic #
Those have serious issues, soft non-heat treated metal for the most part. Basically they were made by a company with zero experience with firearms and thought that all you have to do is cast and machine some parts out of whatever steel you have on hand.
Thanks for letting us know. I saw them and was planning to role the dice and buy a few. Back to the surplus market.

Any thoughts on the company called Arms of America?

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
Arms of America is a great company (used to be based in Colorado, now Texas) and WBP out of Poland is making some great kits and rifles. Their kits however are a mix of AKM and 74 spec so they aren't entirely interchangleable with surplus parts when it comes to the carrier and bolt stem size. I wouldn't hesitate using their stuff.

The Hungarian kits are the sleepers of the AK world. I think their machining is on par with the original Polish stuff but they never carried the cache of the Polish kits. I have a few Hungarian kits that I have built over the years and they are the nicest AKs I have.

Those Hungarian kits were contractor rifles out of Iraq I believe, some of them have arabic rack numbers on the buttstocks.