The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 21, 2017, 16:51   #1
juanni
TROLL

FALaholic #: 2439
My dog drowned yesterday

I have a 20 lb 5 yo border terrier. He loves the water, great swimmer, but being a terrier likes to bite at the water he splashes up,,, usually gags a bit and stops doing that.

Everyday in our hot summer months, late in the day I take him down to the river at the fishing access.
Long paved road visible the whole way. So I can see any other vehicles or other dogs. Usually none. He bails out at the top of the road and runs down the road sprinkling every clump of grass with his message. I follow behind in the truck, with my sore feet after standing on them all day.

At the boat launch, sand, no concrete he wades in, does his routine, exits and we continue on.

Yesterday, he stuck his foot in, waded in and did his barking biting and waded out. I was in the truck 50 ft away, window down but didn't see him get out because the water is high and the spring grass obscured seeing it.

I waited 30 seconds, but didn't see him coming up the ramp. But I did see a small partially submerged log at the ramp that wasn't there before. It was dusk and hard to see detail. The water is slow moving, calm and has an eddy right there so stuff floats upstream near the bank. I was looking at the 'log' when it rolled over. My 1st thought is it was a trash fish spawning in the muddy shallow water, but got out to call the dog and take a look.

Only when I got to the water's edge did I realize the log was my dog, Mr Bumkins. Lifeless, head dragging the bottom of the river and covered in black mud.
1st though was some poisonous snake bit him, but we really don't have them here.
But how could he drown in 2 ft of calm water??
Waded in, pulled him out. Completely lifeless. Turned him upside down opened his mouth and squeezed his chest a couple of times to pump out the water, but that didn't do anything.

Put him on the bank, head slightly downhill and starting giving mouth to muzzle. Saw that the air was just going through his nose and out his closed mouth and blowing out water, so I closed his mouth while blowing and opened it when I expelled his chest.
20 puffs into it, I looked into his dead eyes and thought he was done, but kept at it. At about 40 puffs, he started to breath on his own. Eventually he sort of came to, shaking, weak, and in a total daze.
I kept expecting him to cough up water, but he never did. After 10 minutes or so, I got him walking, wobbly. Instantly took a 2nd poop, must have been from the stress.

An hour later he was weak, still shaking and wheezing with every breath. And had blood in his urine.
Took him into the pet emergency hospital 65 miles away, they looked him all over and started him on so mega horse pill sized antibiotics to counter the muddy dirty water and eventual lung infection.
Vet said he didn't have water in his lungs but moisture, and that pumping his lungs would only cause more stress.
Said the blood in the urine was probably just stress and would hopefully clear up.

Bumkins didn't get much sleep last night, he couldn't comfortably lie down and was hard, short breathing. Today he is much better, can lie down and did some lying out in the hot sun, drying out. Still not feeling so good and not eating anything.

After a couple more tainted ones, his pee cleared up.

Will never know, but I think he was gagging, and got mired in the downstream mud and panicked. He was covered in black mud, the water at the shore was all muddy it is usually clear so he must have had a epic struggle.

The whole thing was surreal, and NOW I see how some kid can drown in an instant of a parent not paying complete attention.

Good thing there was an eddy there, or he would have floated downstream, out of view and I would have never know what happened to him.

.................juanni
Old June 21, 2017, 16:58   #2
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Glad he's still alive. What an ordeal.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 17:01   #3
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Glad he's still alive. What an ordeal.
+ 1
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 17:01   #4
Seaweed
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 2736
Hope he gets well. The main curse for a terrier is that he is a terrier. They just do different stuff. Mine has some weird habits too, one of which may kill him some day. But, that is what terriers do.
Seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 17:10   #5
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Glad he is on his feet.
Old June 21, 2017, 17:20   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Do you think he knocked himself out and then went under? Hope he gets well soon

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 17:28   #7
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Now that's a cool story. I bet your best friend just got bester!

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 17:29   #8
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Buy him a stock tank and let him stick with that.

http://dogsrecommend.com/life-jacket/

https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-dog-life-vests/

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 18:03   #9
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Praying for a complete recovery amigo.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 18:22   #10
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Holy crap! you saved his life! What a great story. Now you have to change his name. Lucky! Lucky he's alive...
Best,
Larry
Old June 21, 2017, 18:25   #11
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I am also very glad that all has worked out so far.

I wish you both the best outcome as it all finally shakes out...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 18:34   #12
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
is this all true???
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 18:37   #13
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Glad he is gonna be alright. Are you back in Montana or still in the Portland area/Columbia River?

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 18:41   #14
slavicshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 74022
Juanni, thank God for knowing what to do. Mr. Bumpkins has a great owner. All the best to both of you and keep us posted until you think he is 100% again.~ss family
Old June 21, 2017, 18:42   #15
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Amazing story, J. He's a lucky dog, lucky he had you there. I'd say no more untethered swims for that puppy.
Old June 21, 2017, 19:49   #16
hardheaded
Registered

FALaholic #: 27964
This is the first time I did a complete 180 on someone's experiences
I am glad this had a great ending as I forsaw the latter
Real glad things worked out , I hope your friend is not plagued with complications from this
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 19:52   #17
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Good job saving your pup! A speedy recovery for him (and you)!

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 19:59   #18
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
is this all true???

The FAL files wonders. I'm starting to hope he found Jesus and can find a woman. Juanni seems to have a softer side lately.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 20:06   #19
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Holy crap....glad your dog came back. Did he talk to Jesus?
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 20:36   #20
juanni
TROLL

Thanks Fellas for all the well wishes!!

I think he will make a full recovery, I was kind of worried about brain damage not knowing how long he was without air, but he seems fully coordinated, and still sharp as a tack (the smartest guy in Billyville lb for lb), obeys commands, knows the old drill etc,,hears well, just moving a bit slow.
Finally got him to eat a full meal tonight.
Even half dead he still mustered the stamina to chase down and tree a chipmunk at full speed late in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
Hope he gets well. The main curse for a terrier is that he is a terrier. They just do different stuff. Mine has some weird habits too, one of which may kill him some day. But, that is what terriers do.
Yeah, when he disappeared and was quite I expected to find him rolling in some semi decomposed fish rotting on the bank or eating trash food that someone had left behind.
You know little boys when it is quite, they are up to something.
And always, the stinkier the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Do you think he knocked himself out and then went under? Hope he gets well soon
I really have no idea, and he isn't saying.
The whole thing was just very freak accident.
How does a dog that has swam across that river, 75 yards and back in the past drown in 2-3 ft of calm water 10 ft from shore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
Glad he is gonna be alright. Are you back in Montana or still in the Portland area/Columbia River?
Back in MT for the summer. Working on the property and projects, but not the house. Doing only stuff I can do by myself and not hiring anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Holy crap....glad your dog came back. Did he talk to Jesus?
I think he was briefly in border terrier heaven, where there is a chipmunk, squirrel or packrat behind every rock.
He looked awful serene.

.............juanni
Old June 21, 2017, 20:37   #21
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Unbelievable Juanni ! great job. they usually don't pull through from this kind of ordeal. keep the antibiotics up 10 days, add a second if you have access or can.. Was it a hot day?
Heat stress could be contributing factor before he went in the water.
Gary Harwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 20:41   #22
AZ Dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7882
So glad it went the way it did. Keep a close eye on him for dry drowning...look it up.
Old June 21, 2017, 20:52   #23
juanni
TROLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Harwell View Post
Unbelievable Juanni ! great job. they usually don't pull through from this kind of ordeal. keep the antibiotics up 10 days, add a second if you have access or can.. Was it a hot day?
Heat stress could be contributing factor before he went in the water.
Yes, unseasonably warm.
He has a lot of hair and really doesn't like hot weather.
So on hot days he usually just lays around in the yard, sometimes laying out in the hot gravel (like some mad englishman), and then moving over to the shade.
I have a big yard, lots of trees, shade and sun and he pretty much does what he wants.
Always has a bowl of fresh water available.

That is why at the end of the day I like to take him out for some exercise.
But it was at dusk and had cooled down, but who knows?
The whole thing was just very weird.

............juanni
Old June 21, 2017, 20:55   #24
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Juanni for the win. Good job on saving Mr. Bumkins - I'm very thankful you had good skills and that the Big Guy wasn't ready for Mr. Bumkins yet.

Peace.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 20:57   #25
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Great story.
gentlemanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 21:04   #26
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Glad you didn't give up on him "lil j". Really happy Mr Bumkins will be around for a long time!

Reread that and it doesn't quite say what I intended....Great job on giving Mr. Bumkins the assist he needed to hang around and keep the chipmonks at bay
Old June 21, 2017, 21:18   #27
adamweinerog
Registered
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 4362
Man I didn't see the happy ending coming, I was fairly upset reading that, so damn happy you brought him back, that's incredible!!! Extra treats when he's back up to %100!
Old June 21, 2017, 21:43   #28
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Are you sure your dog is not part cat?? I have heard that sometimes cats have multiple lives, like nine of them......
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 21:45   #29
EPC WN
Registered

FALaholic #: 65612
HE LIVED!!!!! Man, reading this I was getting depressed and then.... !!!!!!!! Hell yes!
Old June 21, 2017, 21:58   #30
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Good job saving him.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 23:28   #31
jollyrogerf14
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 71100
Excellent story!! More of these please!!
jollyrogerf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 01:26   #32
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Juanni for the win. Good job on saving Mr. Bumkins - I'm very thankful you had good skills and that the Big Guy wasn't ready for Mr. Bumkins yet.

Peace.
......... this sums up my thoughts well. Glad you were there for him, bloody mutts have a way of worming into your heart...
Old June 22, 2017, 04:20   #33
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
This is a great story and could be made into a hit movie,,, and call it "Attaboy juanni".
The dog could probably play himself but who would play juanni,,, or to be more succinct want to ?
This kind of a story makes me want a tail to wag.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 06:39   #34
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
The gate was down at the Rainbow Bridge, thankfully.

Good save, man!

Carry on, Mr Bumkins.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 06:45   #35
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 07:47   #36
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Glad things are working out for your best friend. They are so much easier to be around than scum bag people.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 08:17   #37
rowjimmy
Registered

FALaholic #: 21662
Sorry Juanni, I hope the little guy is doing well.

Good job with the save!
rowjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 08:32   #38
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Wow,,,glad to hear there was a happy ending...

My golden.is a strong swimmer and loves the water, any water,,,even a mud puddle will do...lol
Still, she wears a flotation vest when we're out on the boat for the day. Makes a big difference how long she can stay in without tiring and me worrying...
Were both pretty happy with the 'outward hound' vest, at like $30. Its cheap insurance...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 08:54   #39
Fleabus
Registered

FALaholic #: 10700
Hey J
I am very glad u were there to save mr bumpkins
Great effort buddy
We lose our dog family too soon anyway
Congrats on the save
My best to mr b...
Fleabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 08:57   #40
Slaughter
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
I admit that I didn't have the courage to read this until this morning - the title put me off.

Glad now that I did!

Juanni - you have done a good one here.

Those of us who have been adopted by a "fur kid" understand.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 09:14   #41
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
"Mr. Bumkins" did a good job of picking an owner. Congrats to you both!
Old June 22, 2017, 09:34   #42
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Good save!

– Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 09:35   #43
EPC WN
Registered

FALaholic #: 65612
How is he this morning?
Old June 22, 2017, 09:47   #44
lostmybearing
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62976
You two are very fortunate to have each other. Great job J! I'm going to show this to my wife. We are both animal lovers.
Old June 22, 2017, 09:53   #45
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
I admit that I didn't have the courage to read this until this morning - the title put me off.

Glad now that I did!
I didn't want to read the story either. Glad to have found your happy ending.

Blessings to you both.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 10:12   #46
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Wow, glad you were able to think fast and save the little guy!

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 11:20   #47
juanni
TROLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPC WN View Post
How is he this morning?
He is doing great!
Moves a little slower than usual, and a bit harder breathing. The vet believed a lung infection was virtually assured. And I would think his ribs would be sore from all my pumping.
So he is eating and drinking as normal and occasionally has a short, dry hacking, gacking episode. But whatever flem or whatever he coughs up, he swallows so I don't see what it is. The vet said that is what would be coming, so I am not worried.

The meds are for 10 days and I am taking him in monday to see his regular vet.

Mr Bumkins isn't allowed on my bed, but after his life after death I have allowed him to sleep on my bed to monitor his breathing....... I think he is already starting to milk his new patient privilege.

.............juanni
Old June 22, 2017, 11:42   #48
lowprone
Registered

FALaholic #: 9987
Mr Bumkins isn't allowed on my bed, but after his life after death I have allowed him to sleep on my bed to monitor his breathing....... I think he is already starting to milk his new patient privilege.

They are opportunists.
lowprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 12:10   #49
lew
Registered

FALaholic #: 16727
That was an emotional roller coaster. I can't even imagine what it was like on your end. Great to see that he pulled through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprone View Post

They are opportunists.
All dogs are little shits, but that's what makes them entertaining and lovable.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 13:24   #50
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Good ending!
The great spirit of all, gave him more time.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote