Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old June 06, 2020, 15:36   #1
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Mag tube extension

Remington M870,12ga.

Would appreciate recommends as to who offers (of the several available) a serviceable mag extension.

Thanks,,,
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2020, 10:11   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
the factory Remington is fine, but it has a groove for a clamp screw. This makes the ID slightly smaller than other tubes, and it works with the Remington spring - some aftermarket springs are larger and will bind.

The TacStar is adequate. The plastic end cap can be removed for refinishing.

The SGT/Wilson is nice, but they were out of stock as of yesterdays (I was looking for some 20g tubes).

Nordic Components makes aluminum ones in a variety of lengths, with a separate threaded end cap. I understand these are popular with gun games because you can get ridiculously long ones.

Hans Vang / Vang Comp makes a nice one but was also out of stock on 12g yesterday.

For one round extensions, Suarez international makes a nice one. Works great on the 14" sNOTguns.
Old June 07, 2020, 19:10   #3
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
In my experience, the Remington factory+2 extension works perfectly with factory 18.5 inch barrels.

When I used the Remington factory +2 extension with a full-length Remington shotgun barrel, the difference in barrel profile would pull the extension off-axis with the magazine tube when I applied the clamp, so it was not always reliable.

To me, the Remington design seems least likely to come apart or go downrange in use, except for the Suarez, which is one piece and probably as idiot-proof as can be. In my case, that would be a big deal.

Last edited by Mebsuta; June 07, 2020 at 19:22.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2020, 16:58   #4
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Thank you for this thread, good info. I cannot find any of the mentioned mag extensions for the 870 in stock anywhere. Looks like defensive shotguns are kinda a hot item right now. I did find some Carlsons mag tube extensions available but they were not mentioned, is there something wrong with the Carlsons?

I had bought a used police mossberg 500a 18.5" and set it in the corner, trusted that it would function fine if I needed it. It was the designated go to home defense shotgun. Well the other day I decided to strip and clean it. There was no magazine tube spring or follower installed. I have cycled shells from the magazine tube several times without any issue so now am wondering WTF? Is the spring necessary? I think it is so how did the shells feed without any issue? Maybe because I had the muzzle pointed up each time I did it?
Talk about feeling stupid man, I should have stripped that thing as soon as I got it and then tested it.
So looking at Midway shotgun parts I found a nice Mossberg OEM magazine extension tube, spring and follower that will give me a couple extra rounds and get me set up proper. Put into my cart and get a drop down panel message that says my cart items have changed appears. What? So I look and everything has been discounted substantially. Well ok then :-)

I hope to be able to find a +2 extension for the 870 eventually.
Old July 03, 2020, 19:18   #5
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
So looking at Midway shotgun parts I found a nice Mossberg OEM magazine extension tube,
Huh? How does that work? The Mossberg 500 barrel attaches on the end of the mag tube. Magazine tubes are round count and barrel specific. As far as I know it is not possible to mount an extension on a Mossberg. I am open to learning something though.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2020, 19:52   #6
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
If your handy and have some tools, a lathe and a torch, you can make your own. I bought a 870 at an estate auction with plans to cut and modify. I had a section of mag tube from some other shotgun for the extension and bored the mag tube cap nut to accept it and match the length of the 20" cut barrel. Then I silver brazed the tube into the nut and made an end plug cap that is held in place with a screw. A extended mag spring from Brownells and I forget who the barrel/mag tube clamp came from and I am in business. Works fine and with an AR type adj. butt/pistol grip and RustOleum camo paint and looks the part.
Old July 03, 2020, 22:24   #7
emcroy
Registered

FALaholic #: 33420
https://www.opticsplanet.com/wilson-...sion-tube.html
Old Yesterday, 10:53   #8
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Huh? How does that work? The Mossberg 500 barrel attaches on the end of the mag tube. Magazine tubes are round count and barrel specific. As far as I know it is not possible to mount an extension on a Mossberg. I am open to learning something though.
Thanks for bringing that up. I think you are correct. Crap. Looks like return for exchange time. I wonder if I can get an 18.5 " barrel that will work with the 8 round extension I dont see mag extension size specified with mossberg 500a barrels advertised.

Edit
Ok figured it out. Looks like I need a 20" barrel set up for the 8+1 extension. Not sure I wanna do that so I think the mossberg will stay as is. At least I'll have a spring and follower in there when I correct my order.

mossberg500a - Copy

Last edited by davedude; Yesterday at 11:48.
davedude is offline   Reply With Quote