• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Beavers, Beavers, Beavers.....what to do? UPDATE with Video

Bubacus

FALaholic #
Got a new property in NH in the fall. Beavers wreaked havok for many years on the property. Tons of trees, big and small downed. I walk through the woods and there are sharpened pencils sticking out of the ground left and right. I own about 2 acres of pond on the property that is home to the the den. The den is right on the property line. So as we come in to spring I'm seeing activity. Any advice on ridding the property of this menace? Trap vs kill? There are some trees partially damaged, any way to stop them from continuing the damage on the cambrium? I was thinking of wrapping the trunks in hardware cloth until I can rid the den of it's current inhabitants:

20221011_145658.jpg

20221011_145017.jpg

20230220_085403.jpg

Last edited:

Bubacus

FALaholic #
Neighbors don't mind an occasional loud shot. Guess the previous owner fought it out with porcupines. I am waiting on a .45 can right now and might use that to help out getting rid of them once it clears ATF jail!

Norma Website recomends a .308, 6.5, or 30-06

Beavers, like most rodents, are a tough animal. While they may be small in stature, a beaver that is fatally shot can still manage to reach water and submerge. In those scenarios it is often unlikely that you will be able to retrieve it, as it will die under water, sink to the bottom and stay there. Therefore it is important to not to be fooled into choosing a caliber that is too light. In order to achieve the quickest possible end for the beaver, it is advisable to use some kind of rapidly expanding bullet that delivers a good amount of hydrostatic shock. Around the world, regulations differ as to what guns are legal for beaver hunting. In Sweden for example, a 3,2 gram (or 50 grain) bullet with a minimum of 800 Joules of energy at 100 meters is the minimum requirement. It is not a bad idea to go for a bigger and more powerful cartridge. Any of the 6.5mm calibers like 6,5 Swedish Mauser or 6,5 Creedmoor are probably the best balance between fast, efficient knockdown and excess power. Even the venerable big-game caliber 30-06 Springfield or 308 Winchester are excellent choices, especially for bigger beavers. With good shot placement, you do not need to worry about being overpowered or any overly dramatic effects on the animal. Beavers are sturdy and tough creatures.

Last edited:

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I've killed bunches of them with .17HMR and .22 Magnum rifles, usually just before dusk. We have several hay fields bordered by ponds and the beavers will decimate the alfalfa in a 50 foot radius of where they haul out, when that is gone they dig a canal out further into the field to get more.
An electric fence 6" off the ground and about 5' above high water will change their minds too. They squeal when they get the shock.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
A friend of mine has a CZ mini-Mauser in 7.62x39 that he shoots everything with, including beavers. He fights a constant battle against beavers on his stream fed pond. In addition to shooting them, he traps them as well. It's been a never ending years-long battle.

Since beavers are a fur-bearing animal, read up on your state regulations with regards to harvesting them. I would expect their harvest to be regulated in some manner where you live.

slavicshooter

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Call your local NH Fish and Game office. They generally have a list of trappers they can refer to you . In Missouri, I did referral animal damage control for the Dept. Of Conservation. Your season for trapping beaver is on, so there is a good chance someone in your area is running a trap line. Give Fish and Game a shot. I hope they will helpful.~ss

KoKodog

FALaholic #
valley over, valley over and up the valley they just held the annual beaver roast at the Sacramento fire company, I was never able to get a ticket because they sell out the morning the tickets are available, a full meal of beaver and the trimmings, prize drawings, 50/50 tickets and lots of folks getting together and having a good time

cotter

FALaholic #
Call your local NH Fish and Game office. They generally have a list of trappers they can refer to you . In Missouri, I did referral animal damage control for the Dept. Of Conservation. Your season for trapping beaver is on, so there is a good chance someone in your area is running a trap line. Give Fish and Game a shot. I hope they will helpful.~ss
YES. And be ready to put a value on the damged trees to persuade F&G to allow you to take them out of season.

CeltofMissouri

Mug Rooster
FALaholic #
IF you have access to a good pack of hunting dogs, they can catch the damned things out of the water. One of my great uncles used to have a smart pack of houds which would attack the cursed things from different directions till they wore them out and then kill them.

All the things are, for my part, are giant water dwelling rodents. I hate them and kill them whenever I run across them. Nothing more than nuisance animals which need to be dealt with.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
IF you have access to a good pack of hunting dogs, they can catch the damned things out of the water. One of my great uncles used to have a smart pack of houds which would attack the cursed things from different directions till they wore them out and then kill them.

All the things are, for my part, are giant water dwelling rodents. I hate them and kill them whenever I run across them. Nothing more than nuisance animals which need to be dealt with.
Your advocating use packs of 'hunting' dogs to run animals down and rip them apart.?
Is that what passes for 'hunting' in MO ?

We had some low life assholes that tried that kind of shit in central IL on coyotes,, with zero regard of where or on whos property they traversed or killed on,, or whos dog or kid they might of encountered on the way. They 'just drove around following radio tracker collars and picked them up on a road after they were bloody from killing something.
Ive always liked most dogs more then most people,, but those big orange radio collars were not only a clear indication of what they were doing,, but made a great aiming point..
Which in my book, is a way better and quicker end then their owners deserve... :)

Tuhlmann

Owner of the Boner
Contributor
FALaholic #
Trapping (by a legit trapper) is the only sure way to eliminate them all and permanently, unless dynamite is an option*. Beaver pelts are worth the effort for a trapper, and the traps work 24/7 when checked daily. You may qualify as a "landowner" in NH, which may give you leeway in nuisance animal disposal options for property damage, if that stuff is important to you.

*This is a serious comment. Dynamite is fantastic solution, but not necessarily on a property line.

Non conformist

FALaholic #
Your advocating use packs of 'hunting' dogs to run animals down and rip them apart.?
Is that what passes for 'hunting' in MO ?

We had some low life assholes that tried that kind of shit in central IL on coyotes,, with zero regard of where or on whos property they traversed or killed on,, or whos dog or kid they might of encountered on the way. They 'just drove around following radio tracker collars and picked them up on a road after they were bloody from killing something.
Ive always liked most dogs more then most people,, but those big orange radio collars were not only a clear indication of what they were doing,, but made a great aiming point..
Which in my book, is a way better and quicker end then their owners deserve... :)
You rant and rave about the use of dogs to control vermin but you turn right around and advocate for the killing a person's collared hunting dogs for doing what comes natural to them.
That makes you worse than the dogs/dog owners you are condemning.
You got a problem with hunting with dogs, take it up with the dogs owner, don't take it out on the dogs.
And FWIW, shooting somebody's collared dog in my AO is a good way to your arse get disappeared...

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
You rant and rave about the use of dogs to control vermin but you turn right around and advocate for the killing a person's collared hunting dogs for doing what comes natural to them.
That makes you worse than the dogs/dog owners you are condemning.
You got a problem with hunting with dogs, take it up with the dogs owner, don't take it out on the dogs.
And FWIW, shooting somebody's collared dog in my AO is a good way to your arse get disappeared...
Maybe you lack reading comprehension,, but if you or anybody else thinks its perfectly fine to run a pack of killing dogs without permission on ground I own and my kids are out on,, your can bet your bottom dollar I'll shoot every single one.. :)