• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Columbia SC?

kroberts

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Tell me about the Columbia area. My employer has an operation there, I could apply for a transfer. I really don’t like where I am now. It’s near enough to what remains of my family. My kids are grown and on their own, it would be nice to be near my siblings again. They live in NC within less than 3 hours of CAE.

I’ve been looking online at home prices there, it’s encouraging given what $200k will buy here in the DFW area. I’m sure summers are HHH (hazy, hot, humid) and winters are mild enough. I don’t need to worry about schools any more but better schools usually mean better neighborhoods.

Are homes customarily built on slabs there or pier-and-beam?

What areas should I avoid? I'm open to the surrounding area as well, not just Columbia proper.

Any info you want to add would be appreciated.

Thanks

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
My second oldest boy lives in Fort Mill, just over the line from Charlotte. He has taken a new position at the company he left here, so he and his wife are moving back up here soon.
:calvindancing:

Back to your question, when he moved to Charlotte area, they lived in an apartment for a year to check out the area and the new jobs to be sure they were committed. They liked the area and the work, so they bought a new house in Fort Mills 12-18 months ago. They are selling that house now for a +20% profit. Columbia being an hour south, I would assume it may be seeing a similar rise in housing prices. Maybe that is just a Charlotte or Fort Mill thing, IDK, but it seems to be a booming area of the country. My boy (who is a whole helluva lot like me when I was 35) really liked the area. My personal experience in both places, it beats the crap of anything near metropolitan DFW area.

YMMV

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
COLA (the Low Country way of writing Columbia) is a pretty nice town. It is located pretty much in the center of the State which is why that area is know as the Midlands. But you can google all that crap. The types of houses are pretty much whatever you are looking for. Columbia is hill country, so you will find both slab and curtain wall types of construction. And, as a result of a couple of flooding events a few years ago, you might find new construction using wooden piers to elevate the house out of the high water mark. This is not a common occurrence but was one of those 100 year floods. Just look carefully for the type of house you want and where you want it built.

From Columbia, you only have to drive no more than 1½ hours in any direction to reach the border. SC is a gun owner's paradise. While not an open carry State, CCW's are easy to get, everything involving guns from hunting, shooting, competition, home defense, and collecting is supported by local businesses, and manufacturers like FN and PSA (their HQ is located in Columbia). South Carolina also supports hunting and fishing a lot. In fact, some portions of SC have the longest deer season in the US (Aug 1 to Jan 1). Every large city, Columbia included, has a unique atmosphere; big city in a small town. By that I mean, anything you can do in NY, Chicago, or Atlanta, you have in the cities. Yet strangers still say hello or how y'all doin when you pass by them on the street. Neighbors look out after each other.

I came to SC in 1974, fell in love with the State and have been here ever since. There are several File members who live in Columbia and I am from Charleston. If you have any more questions, PM me. I'll try to answer them or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Zimm

FALaholic #
Machine guns are illegal there if I remember correctly .lived in ermo for a year .its a suburb of Columbia .i didn't care for the state myself and my son hated it.he was in high school at the time . Lots of fishing around ,and lots of parks,but they all charge to go to them.it was a big change from Florida for us .
Weather is mild enough ,but if you have allergies you won't enjoy it when the pine trees start pollinating.everything turns orange yellow.
Pick a church,cause everyone you meet will want to know what church you go to

hagar

FALaholic #
I'd rather be back in AZ where I moved from, but it is a lot better than NY.. :eek:

In general people are friendly, but they drive like crap. Pretty high in the crime stats, but it's mostly the dindu neighborhoods (of which DFW probably has it's ample share).

Hot and humid in the summer, rains all the time in the winter.

parallaxbill

Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Machine guns are illegal there if I remember correctly .lived in ermo for a year .its a suburb of Columbia .i didn't care for the state myself and my son hated it.he was in high school at the time . Lots of fishing around ,and lots of parks,but they all charge to go to them.it was a big change from Florida for us .
Weather is mild enough ,but if you have allergies you won't enjoy it when the pine trees start pollinating.everything turns orange yellow.
Pick a church,cause everyone you meet will want to know what church you go to
I don't think that's the case anymore with regards to Full auto. It changed a few years ago.

parallaxbill

Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I've got family in Columbia and they love it. I'm moving from just over the NC/SC line to retire in Chester county in a couple of years. SC is good to sportsmen, much more so than NC in my experiences although I do like the open carry and CCW that NC offers.

parallaxbill

Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I've got family in Columbia and they love it. I'm moving from just over the NC/SC line to retire in Chester county in a couple of years. SC is good to sportsmen, much more so than NC in my experiences although I do like the open carry and CCW that NC offers.

I'm fleeing the Charlotte crush, for the second time in my life. The area is growing far to fast for it's own good.

K. Funk

Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I spent some time in Columbia, nice little big city. Don't have to go too far to be in the stix. Soil is sandy and it's gawd awful hot in July/August, at least in the steel mills. I worked in a small town about 50 miles away, Hartsville. Very charming. Once you get out of the populated areas, everyone is pretty much dirt poor. Food is good, cotton is cool to see for us yankees.

krf

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
You will need to bone up on prepping for hurricanes and himmicanes.

Areas you should avoid? I would say PSA as I hear they have a walk-in store.

They do not know how to BBQ (sauce is too vinagery) and REAL sweet tea, the kind in which the tea is boiled with sugar syrup, should be banned. If it does not kill you, you weren't meant to die.

Jarhead

Oh shit! I almost forgot! DO NOT piss off any Grays that proliferate throughout the state. South Carolina AND Ohio are the two places in the USA where the Aliens colonized and cross-bred with humans. There are THOUSANDS of them there.

Don't believe me? Well, report back to us after you have toured the state for a few days. I mean REALLY toured ALL OVER.

Be careful! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Jh

kroberts

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks all.

I spent a few years in Wilmington NC, I'm fairly well acquainted with HHH and hurricanes :D

And, with respect, there is almost nothing finer than Eastern Carolina barbecue. Love me some good Brunswick Stew too.

tac-40

Staff member
FALaholic #
Thanks all.

I spent a few years in Wilmington NC, I'm fairly well acquainted with HHH and hurricanes :D

And, with respect, there is almost nothing finer than Eastern Carolina barbecue. Love me some good Brunswick Stew too.
Columbia is the right place for you then. SC has the the mustard based sauce while 30-50 miles away, the NC vinegar sauce appears. :rofl::biggrin:

Not too many hurricanes hit the Columbia area directly since it is about 90 miles inland. It does see gale force winds, mostly, and a hell of a lot of rain. And yes, you can legally purchase FA weapons.

And there is a private range about 20-25 minutes south down the interstate that just extended there rifle range to 800 yards, if you are into that.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Never spent a lot of time there. Just business trips. I used to live in Jackson MS and flew in on a plane and thought we had turned around and come back except for the sandy soil.

Coming from DFW you're going to get some culture shock. Same as I do when I go back into the deep south every few weeks after even though living there for 40 yrs. Wilmington is nothing like Columbia. It's like comparing Fort Walton FL to Montgomery AL. I would do it though as long as the job was secure. DFW is getting to be way too busy with traffic. Just be prepared for the pace to go way down a few notches. And learn to smoke your own brisket cause it ain't happening at any BBQ stands in that part of the world.

kroberts

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
OK. Bumping an old thread to ask that question of Columbia area residents;

What areas would a middle class, middle aged white guy NOT want to live in/near? My house budget is going to about 250k, no higher than 300k.
I've been told Lexington and Irmo are nice. I do not want new construction. I'd love to find a nice little house in an older neighborhood.
I'm probably going to end up renting for six months to get the lay of the land.

I want to stay far away from any 'hoods. You know what I mean.

Story

FALaholic #

tac-40

Staff member
FALaholic #
I live in Charleston but visit Cola a couple times a year. Can't give you specifics, but here is the general layout. Downtown is the college and its associated nightlife. Just around that at the "affordable housing" areas. The outlying suburbs around the downtown area are pretty nice. But there is a lot of State Properties located there too. So look closely who your neighbors will be. On the east side is Fort Jackson with a lot of military families surrounding it. Probably easy to find a nice home in that area. To the west towards Lexington is Lake Murray. The closer you get to the lake the higher the prices, of everything. To the north and south, just a few miles outside of town are smaller towns that haven't been caught up in the housing boom a while back. Should be easy to locate an older home with a couple of acres in you price point. Plus it really depends on where you are working. The interstate highways are packed in the mornings and afternoons with commuters, driving across town could be a PITA.

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
Gun laws are pretty easy here, FTF transfers in state residents, Class 3 weapons legal, etc. CCW is shall issue, but you need a CCW to carry openly unless you are on your own property. Lots of stores still have "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS" signs but most people ignore them I suspect. Unlike AZ and TX there arent going to be places that you can just pull off the road and start blasting away. But there are plenty of indoor and outdoor ranges to shoot at.

Its def lower cost of living than most parts of the country. They tax you on anything that rolls or floats though. My taxes on a 2700 sq ft house are about $1600 a year but add another $1200 for the 4 vehicles that I own. My house is built on a crawlspace but most newer construction is built on slabs. In that price range you'd be better off buying an older home built in the 70s or 80s IMHO, but make damn sure you use a trustworthy building inspector...termites are an issue here (not as long as you keep your bond up but just sayin). RIght now real estate here is still in a bubble....cheapest houses will most likely be around the worst schools.

For the record I live in an outlying area, not Columbia proper. The public schools range from excellent to suck. You'll have to research what schools in Richland (north around Irmo probably the best), Kershaw (east Columbia) and Lexington (west of Columbia) you want to send your kids to. Commutes from outlying areas into metro Columbia are getting a little annoying due to all the Yankee queers that have moved here. They are widening several major highways here.

Last edited:

kroberts

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Story, thanks for that map info. Thanks all.

My kids are all out of college so schools aren't an issue.

There's actually not any BLM land in Texas. well, none to speak of. A coworker moved here from Vegas and told those "side of the road shooting range" stories. He also told us about blasting away at some targets one time and having a bunch of guys on dirt bikes appear in the distance directly downrange!

mitchellh

FALaholic #
Thanks all.

What years were you in Wilmington? It's changed a lot since the Mid-80s', good and bad.