• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Discuss Please !!

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #

the gman

FALaholic #
Anyone is entitled to ask for whatever price they desire for an item. Whether it sells or not is a different matter. As to the rifle? Legit LEO import, properly described, well documented, accurate information and a very nice piece. Is it worth the asking price? If I had the same amount of disposable income as I had when I first moved to the US, I would attempt to negotiate down a little bit but it would be worth it to me. Alas, funds are much less available these days but it may hang around for a few months or even years before finding a buyer. GLWS,

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
For $10.5K, shouldn't all the parts have the same serial number, at least the upper an lower? Also, aren't there supposed to be markings on the rear ,right side of the upper receiver I.D.ing the manufacturer?

Jahead

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
For $10.5K, shouldn't all the parts have the same serial number, at least the upper an lower? Also, aren't there supposed to be markings on the rear ,right side of the upper receiver I.D.ing the manufacturer?

Jahead
The Century LEO guns were a mix of parts and serial numbers. An L1A1 doesn't have any markings on the right side of the receiver.

Either way, seller is asking way too much.

IHCM1

FALaholic #
Seriously(no sarcasm)...So what should he be asking? Its sear cut and an L1A1, much rarer than the Steyr/Gunsouth imports. How often do these hit the open market? What does one use for comparisons to determine price?

James

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Seriously(no sarcasm)...So what should he be asking? Its sear cut and an L1A1, much rarer than the Steyr/Gunsouth imports. How often do these hit the open market? What does one use for comparisons to determine price?
I know of one that sold for $4000 about 8-10 months ago.
James

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
Pre pandemic these would sell in the $2800-$4k range.

They have always been thought of as gray area guns as they were originally only sold to LEOs only though there was nothing that any LEO had to do to buy one of these that any regular citizen would have had to do so they have always carried a lower price tag as people on the net debated whether they were legal to possess or not seeing that they had original sear cut receivers.

Also these rifles were a mix of parts, some had Brit receivers, some had Indian receivers along with a mix of parts so they are not pristine as built rifles like a Gunsouth would be. They appear to be a typical Century build where they had a pile of parts and assembled them in to complete rifles using the original receivers and barrels. Serial numbers will not match nor will the individual parts on the rifle. Some Brit parts, some Aussie parts, some Indian parts thrown in just to make things spicy.

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #

Jahead
Brit guns didnt have serialized parts other than the upper and the lower...the numbers on the small parts will be a manufacturers date code (B60 = BSA 1960, F60 = ROF Fazakerley 1960, an Enfield made rifle would have UE followed by the 2 digit year) followed by a multi digit number (usually 7 digits) that is either a drawing or lot number. Most Brit receivers have no markings on the RH side, Fazakerley and some (I think) Enfield rifles had the date code doubled up near the mag well lightening cut. The UB60 before the serial number on the left hand side means Birmingham Small Arms factory, 1960. Its near impossible to find a British SLR with matching uppers and lowers, most were used hard and even the ones that werent went through at least one or two unit level tear downs and inspections. No effort was made to keep matching uppers and lowers together. This one has a lower thats only a couple thousand off the uppers number.

Yeah, I'm asking a lot for it, and honestly I don't expect it to sell. But like I say in the auction, where can you get another one like it? All the other LE imports that I've ever seen are pretty trashed and don't have NOS original wood. Some metric G's are selling for 14k now.

These guns are no more "gray area" than the several thousand safety sear cut Steyr / GunSouth ones imported post 1968. It used to be that drilling any kind of paddle mag hole in the side of a semi auto G3 receiver made it a "machine gun", now PTR is allowed to manufacture them that way. PTR 91 GIR Model Rifle 308WIN OD GREEN Semi Auto G3 HK 20RD Mag 18" w/ Rail - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 1016709712

Last edited:

Armsdad

FALaholic #
What is somthing worth if you can't replace it? The right person will want it. I want it , I just can't afford it..That don't mean it's priced too high. I will just keep looking for one sombody has that don't know what it is . Honestly only way I could get one on my budget.

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
You get a lot of interesting questions with a gun like this.....do you have any history on the gun....where'd you get it.....where did he get it.....are all the parts original......do you have any paperwork on the gun etc etc. The answer is I'm not psychic and its a surplus mililitary rifle that, as I've noted in the auction I've already replaced a few parts on and now its mostly correct. Correct is not the same as original. The only L1a1s that are 100% untouched are those couple in the USMC pattern room at Quantico (there used to be a T48 picture thread here with those in them) and maybe the Royal Armories museum in England. The UK made about 300k rifles from 1958 until 1965(?) and used most of them pretty well for 40 years.

Last edited:

Armsdad

FALaholic #
A matching set of brit hg in any year is a rare thing. I don't know why, but it's hard to find a set . I collected them for 7 yrs and never got a matching # set. I gave up and just put what looked good together. But there are cuts in the hg ya gotta match also.

enbloc8

FALaholic #
Because the British used them until they broke, and then replaced them with plastic.
And the solid wood ones did a lot of breaking in the field, especially in wood-friendly tropical climes like Borneo. The British also had a strong base workshop rebuild program to keep their rifles current, unlike Australian rifles that were sold to every corner of the former Empire and may have had spotty support.

No doubt mismatched solid handguards were common in service...as Peter Laidler said, whatever parts the storekeeper took out of the bin and gave them was what he and his fellow armorers used, and nobody ever came back to complain!