• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Had a back porch visitor this afternoon

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
Very cool. I would have likely gotten the pellet rifle out on the crows. They are the 'is it them again yogi' of the bird world.

Pigeons are sky rats, crows are sky Nigerians, where I live....alot of them scatter off my trees the minute they see me....👿☠

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Very cool. I would have likely gotten the pellet rifle out on the crows. They are the 'is it them again yogi' of the bird world.

Pigeons are sky rats, crows are sky Nigerians, where I live....alot of them scatter off my trees the minute they see me....👿☠
Oh, I don't know. Other than the screech owl and an errant Robin my wife says was hiding from the crows, they haven't been a problem. They live in/share the live oak tree in the front yard. I see the same three crows every day.

There's also a couple fox squirrels in the same tree. It's funny to watch them square off. And loud.

Mebsuta

Khemi, Stygia
Contributor
FALaholic #
I have found headless rabbits in my yard. I wondered what that was all about, then read that owls will do that because they can't fly off with the entire body.

My favorite birds are the crows.

hardass

FALaholic #
I used to shoot crows ( and eat 'em too. I am a coonass after all :LOL: ) . But since I got my chickens ,I've found out the crows will run off a hawk or owl the minute they spot them. I hear them crows raising a fuss outside , I know a hawk or owl is close by and so do the chickens. They'll bunch up for safety when the crows start yapping

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Was trying to have a nap earlier and heard a scuffle on the bedroom window ledge. I opened the blinds and this little dude was posted up outside. I think he was hiding from the two crows who were hanging out very nearby.

View attachment 392089

Is this a screech owl?
I bet that was a real hoot... 😃

EinheitElf

FALaholic #
Guess I rather have hawks and owls. Around here crows go after all the small bird nests, get into whatever trash they can, shit n crap all over my outside furniture, etc.
They act like other inner city dwellers.
I have a couple squirrels, possum and Coons that make the neighborhood rounds and there are some red tails, falcons,kestrel in the area that seem to go after the rodents and city rabbit. Occasionally I hear an owl. Also hear a woodpecker or 2 sometimes.
But if I see crows going after a bird nest , if I have a clean los..... there are like a million around here..

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Owls are the bringer of bad news. Usually death notification. Day time it's bad news! Crows are a good medicine. Protectors.
Red and Blue , one balances out the other.
This is what I was taught by Comanche elders.
I lost my step father a week ago today. The owl was a little late.

Mbell

FALaholic #
Sorry about your loss brother but it’s a great Owl pic. I have a Bobcat that for the past three years comes up to the wood line when I’m running my saw mill and every time I reach for my phone to snap a pic he run’s off. Guess it’s not meant to be.

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Didn't want to be the first to say it.

But thats always been my understanding.
I wonder if it depends on the type of owl to the people who believe these omens.

We have barn owls in our (wait for it...) barn. Every year they raise another batch of these beautiful white-with-brown-spots birds.

If owls are a bad omen, I've been living one bad omen for several thousand days in a row.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
A couple nights ago I stepped out the back of the garage to take a leak and had two owls, one to the east and one to the west, carrying on a long conversation.
I had a "conversation" with an owl at my dad's house years ago. I stepped out on the back porch for a smoke and heard an owl hooting softly in the distance. I hooted back...a couple seconds elapse and I heard it hoot again. We went back and forth for about as long as I held interest, then I went back inside.

slavicshooter

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I used to shoot crows ( and eat 'em too. I am a coonass after all :LOL: ) . But since I got my chickens ,I've found out the crows will run off a hawk or owl the minute they spot them. I hear them crows raising a fuss outside , I know a hawk or owl is close by and so do the chickens. They'll bunch up for safety when the crows start yapping
An interesting side note: Because of this crow/hawk(owl) rivalry, people with black or dark colored chickens experience fewer losses to aerial predation.~ss