• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Minimum cartridge for bison?

spider991

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm on month 14 of waiting for my custom Shiloh, so I grabbed one through a friend in 50-90 Sharps.

Said friend also runs a pretty big buffalo ranch near by and has me on call for next time one escapes we can go hunting for it. They really don't like to bring them back into the herd after an escape so they don't teach others. I would get the pelt and half the meat, so it sounds exciting to me.

View attachment 378452 View attachment 378453

First, gorgeous rifle! I had a 50-90 c.sharps......full case 1.5swiss drop tubed..hardcast from 625g Paul jones mold....take a deep breath before you fire that thing prone ;)

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
That's what I wanted to hear. AR .22 and CCI Mini Mags. The bovine's as good as in the freezer (need to get another freezer).
Well, it does take a considerable amount of patience. They tend to stare at you which makes it damn hard to shoot them in the ear. You need to get another fellow to walk in front of them while you stand to the side. At some point the bison will look at the other guy and bam!

1911Ron

FALaholic #
That's what I wanted to hear. AR .22 and CCI Mini Mags. The bovine's as good as in the freezer (need to get another freezer).
Can I have your guns after you try this? Cause if you miss a pissed off Bison is going to stomp you to death. I think that the person that suggested that try it first.

spider991

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Kinda doesn't seem like hunting, ya just walk up and shoot the big dumb animal? Kinda more like just killing than hunting. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.

lew

FALaholic #
Can I have your guns after you try this? Cause if you miss a pissed off Bison is going to stomp you to death. I think that the person that suggested that try it first.
I'm gonna get a Hi Point Yeet Cannon to be specifically willed to you after my untimely and utterly-unprecedented demise.

lew

FALaholic #
Kinda doesn't seem like hunting, ya just walk up and shoot the big dumb animal? Kinda more like just killing than hunting. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.
There isn't much to bison hunting. Same goes for elephant hunting. Sure, there's a chance of the animals' vote counting more than yours, but is prairie dog shooting really hunting? Is shooting a coyote using a thermal scope hunting? Is using a super-precise magnum to bag an elk at long range hunting? Killing an animal is killing an animal, as long as it's done humanely. You fill in the details.

lew

FALaholic #
I still like my original idea from “No Country For Old Men”, but if you feel the need to go atomic Joe Biden told us all that 9mm blows lungs completely out of the body. So that should definitely figure into your calculus when selecting a cartridge.
At the same time, we can't use our 9mm Nuclear Parabellum to shoot down F-15s. It's science, and the Resident would know best. I don't want to use something that can't take down a jet. Only Cornpop gets to use the pneumatic cow killer. He was a bad dude. Anyway...

Wecsogery

FALaholic #
Another vote for the 8mm with a heavy bullet. That is pure killing efficiency, and there is probably no more reliable rifle than a '98 Mauser. I have two .45/70s (Marlin Guide Gun and H&R single shot), but I would probably choose my Mauser over one of them.
I would definitely choose it over something like a .300 Mag. The 2000-2400 fps velocity means the bullet is more likely to penetrate deeply, which is what you need. Higher velocity makes more energy, but it's also more likely to over-expand and dump that energy before reaching vital organs.

Last edited:

nightschneider

Contributor
FALaholic #
Use one of those .223 rounds the democrats are always prattling on about. Allegedly, they'll blow out the side of a barn.
Joking….but I used 50 gr vmax out of a 14.5” AR for my last buffalo. 850 lb cow. Went down like lightning struck.

know where the brain stem is and don’t miss.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Too bad that Woodleigh Bullets in Oz had that big fire that essentially shut them down. They surely make/made some appropriate bullets. Hawk Bullets offers some good selections for the 8mm, also.

KoKodog

FALaholic #
we used a captive bolt gun similar to Antons but it used .50 cal blanks and always had to be careful that we did not bend the bolt when the beef or pig ........ would react to the rod going into the brain, and pigs were the worst for flailing around, Brian had pushed it thru the door, as soon as Chuck dropped it in the chute, , Ruth was taking the gate up and Rick was getting a chain on a hind foot while it was kicking, Chucks Mom was taking the chain hoist up w/ the pig kicking I set the blood barrel under it while Ruth ran her skinny stick knife into the chest and around the heart and damn near all the blood dropped into the barrel, we had a setup down pat on the kill floor

rojogrande2

FALaholic #
Having actually killed one this way, I agree there isn't much hunting to it. I did it to get buffalo meat cheaper, and for the robe (which is soft as mink, absolutely luxurious).

On most ranches in Wyoming the ranch hands know where the buffalo are and you can drive close enough to make an easy walk. Depending on the wind and cover, shots are a couple hundred yards at most. And after the shot, they just don't react like most prey animals - they don't run far away. The rest of the herd runs a few yards away, then come back to nose the dead one. There is a reason that the buffalo were nearly exterminated.
IMG_7347.jpg

Bwana John

FALaholic #
I’d say as a minimum 30-06 with 220 gr RN.
410 gr in a 416 Rigby is expensive, and not needed in this hemisphere… until they clone a mastodon.
300 gr RN in a 375H&H is probably the Goldilocks cartridge and bullet for North American megafauna.

Or you could make it a little more sporting
buffalo_hunt_indians_weapons

Last edited:

lew

FALaholic #
I’d say as a minimum 30-06 with 220 gr RN.
410 gr in a 416 Rigby is expensive, and not needed in this hemisphere… until they clone a mastodon.
300 gr RN in a 375H&H is probably the Goldilocks cartridge and bullet for North American megafauna.

Or you could make it a little more sporting
buffalo_hunt_indians_weapons
My brother has some good quality repro Roman weapons- gladius, pilum, et hasta.:unsure: