• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Minimum cartridge for bison?

ExCdnSoldierInTx

Don’t California my Texas!
Contributor
FALaholic #
If you plan to walk up to him on a farm, just use a 357 and pop him in the forehead. I've put down horses this way and I think kit is more humane than havig the vet do it. No reason to waste any bison meat with a broadside shot.
I’ve used 44 mag for that. A bit more leeway for my general shittiness with a pistol.

ExCdnSoldierInTx

Don’t California my Texas!
Contributor
FALaholic #
Yep....a 450 or 500 grain hard cast LSWC boolit at 1200 or 1300 fps is pretty damn effective on just about anything in the western hemisphere. And easily achievable with modern 45-70 rifles.
Yep. 450 gr lead boolits do wonders ahead of 70 actual grains of BP.

Modern brass is thicker walled, and a 70 don’t even come close. A 90 holds about 75-78 grains of Goex.

Tuhlmann

Owner of the Boner
Contributor
FALaholic #
Can I get a sidearm chambered in .444 to go with the rifle? Sounds like an ideal concealed carry round.
Yes you can. TC makes barrels for their Contender & Encore pistols. Not recommended, unless you were the guy that held onto the M-80 wayyyyyy too long as a kid. :cool:

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Forget the single shot Contender! BFR offers revolvers in .444 and .450 Marlin, and .45-70.

Big Frame Revolver
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I hate to add, but Jim Corbetts FIRST Tiger Killing rifle, was a Martini-Henry............rolling block, black powder, 45 cal bullet....1300 fps.

He couldda had a 45-70.

skeeterbay

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have never hunted Bison but I have hunted plenty of moose, in Alaska and the lower 48. Seems like they would be similar. I have used 30-06, 300 win mag, 9.3X62mm, 8mm mauser and 44 mag revolver. All those rifle calibers are plenty good for a moose. I prefer the Woodleigh weld cores or heavy for caliber Nosler partitioners. I don't know how Bison react when hit but moose can get into some awful places before they realize they are dead. Nothing worse than quartering a moose and carrying it out in waste deep water. I am a big fan of high shoulder shots if possible. The goal being damage to the spine, either from the bullet, or the bone fragments or shock.

lew

FALaholic #
I have never hunted Bison but I have hunted plenty of moose, in Alaska and the lower 48. Seems like they would be similar. I have used 30-06, 300 win mag, 9.3X62mm, 8mm mauser and 44 mag revolver. All those rifle calibers are plenty good for a moose. I prefer the Woodleigh weld cores or heavy for caliber Nosler partitioners. I don't know how Bison react when hit but moose can get into some awful places before they realize they are dead. Nothing worse than quartering a moose and carrying it out in waste deep water. I am a big fan of high shoulder shots if possible. The goal being damage to the spine, either from the bullet, or the bone fragments or shock.
Those are some interesting points to ponder about shot placement, having definite advantages over a broadside or head shot (limiting damage to useful bits).

I'm heavily leaning toward the 7.92 Mauser as I have plenty of components and would just need a box of bullets and some load development.

skeeterbay

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Those are some interesting points to ponder about shot placement, having definite advantages over a broadside or head shot (limiting damage to useful bits).

I'm heavily leaning toward the 7.92 Mauser as I have plenty of components and would just need a box of bullets and some load development.
These work well for shoulder shots for reasonable ranges. Velocity tapers off quicker being round nose. Nice thing about Woodleigh they print recommended impact velocities right on the box.

Attachments:

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I should probably go all the way and get dysentery, too. :unsure:
...and a proper outfit of course :)

lew

FALaholic #
...and a proper outfit of course :)

If it ain't buckskins, I ain't goin'.

Nay, scratch that: breechcloth and moccasins.

lew

FALaholic #
Just remember, Buffalo hides are thicker than all get out. That is why a big, heavy bullet works so well. Hard to stop energy in motion. And a 500 gr. pill is pretty huge. BP all the way, including dysentery!!!
Why stop at dysentery? I hear it pairs well with cholera.

The problem with black powder is that I'll be tempted to reload for it, which means more shit in my shop. Maybe a '61 Springfield for that big ass bullet...