• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

so i tried something new - i bought one each of the top tactical shotguns to test out

gates

FALaholic #
I already had a 922 compliant parts correct benelli m4 and a mossberg 930, i traded the 930 in for a new 940 and picked up a beretta LE 1301 (FIXED CHOKE) and a new a300 patrol, plan on spending some range time with all of them and will report back what i find, far as I can tell these are the 4 current hotness in tactical shotguns - I thought it would be a fun experiment. I have watched all the guntubers reviews of all these shotguns and they all seem to think they are all the best thing since sliced bread so Ill see for myself.

gates

FALaholic #
i have an old 590a1 that i keep for a pump, sold a impulse buy maverick 88 at a gunshow a few yrs back, just handling these new autos the m4 is the heaviest then the mossy 940 then the berettas, a tad worried about the light weight of the new guys, probably kick like mules with slugs

gates

FALaholic #
yeah age is getting to me and i lost a bunch of weight so i dont get as much pleasure out of my .303 and 7.62r surplus bolt actions from the bench any more, off hand standing is no big deal but locked down on a bench, in a t-shirt = pain that i dont remember having 10-15 years ago and 80 lbs heavier;-)

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
pain that i dont remember having 10-15 years ago and 80 lbs heavier;-)
I can vouch that 10-15 years brings on a lower tolerance of pain (and more in your regular life). The weight change I had not thought of, but yeah, 80 pounds would be quite a bit of additional buffer over the muscle tissue I would think.

ETA: I know a guy locally who had/has cancer. I've not known him long or well enough to know his whole history, but he is probably 5'10" and barely 140 pounds if that. He told me recently he cannot shoot anything more than an AR any more due to the recoil. I had only thought of his sickness and age, but if he dropped a whole bunch of weight, that would make sense too I suppose.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
yeah age is getting to me and i lost a bunch of weight so i dont get as much pleasure out of my .303 and 7.62r surplus bolt actions from the bench any more, off hand standing is no big deal but locked down on a bench, in a t-shirt = pain that i dont remember having 10-15 years ago and 80 lbs heavier;-)

Damn, I only lost 30 so far this year, never thought about that being the cause of the increase pain, it did play hell with my BP meds for a while, maybe there is something for being chubby after all!:)LOL

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
i have a "pussy pad" (strap on recoil pad) for shooting some of the surplus bolt guns off the bench nowadays I dont have much to prove anymore and as i age comfort is taking on a new importance.
Yeah, well, those short LOP milsurps with steel buttplated will whip the shit out of your shoulder.

I had a gunsmith put a thick recoil pad on my 1100. Not so much for recoil for length of pull adjustment. With that said, it is kind of nice shooting a shitload of doves and having almost zero recoil.

gates

FALaholic #
So I spent some time really going over these shotguns today - the most expensive m4 is also the most solid feeling - the 940 and the two Berettas have a ton of plastic on them and feel less substantial, in this order - 1301 then the 940 then the 300A, from least to most cheap feeling - $1000+ a pop doesnt buy much anymore, I trust they will shoot better than they feel but time will tell.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
So I spent some time really going over these shotguns today - the most expensive m4 is also the most solid feeling - the 940 and the two Berettas have a ton of plastic on them and feel less substantial, in this order - 1301 then the 940 then the 300A, from least to most cheap feeling - $1000+ a pop doesnt buy much anymore, I trust they will shoot better than they feel but time will tell.

What do ya plan to be using them for????

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
For "hunting",,,,a ragged old 870 is real darn hard to beat, and leaves mucho left $$$ over, to fund countless 00buck and JHP's to feed the back ups.
In the end, the whatever looks pretty, but its the ammo out the end that does all the real work.

Of course, those slick looking Italian jobbers are damn easy on the eye and in the hand! ;)

Colts4me

FALaholic #
As an old man I have developed an opinion about shotguns, it's far bigger than I want to write out.

Opinion comes from hunting first then shooting in club events. Most fun was the combat shotgun matches.

Hunting changed as government made steel shot required to hunt with. If you plan to have a shotgun for survival then lead shot hunts better.

In the shotgun matches the reactive targets took a good solid hit to knock them over. Fast and furious to empty the gun but everyone was slow as hell reloading. Winner was always the man with the best dexterity that reloaded fast. Might think about reloading fast if it turns to a crowd problem.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Even the inertia semi shotties can have some stiff recoil. I haven't shot a ton of semis but boy does a Remington 1100 shoot smooth.

I have a Stoeger M3000. I don't shoot it enough. It's my only semi. I think I'll take it to parents for thanksgiving,, we'll take the kids out to blast some clays.

hagar

FALaholic #
You should test one of the cheap Turkish shotguns as well for comparison!

Most shotgun recoil don't bother me, but a 3.5 inch steel bb load out of a Mossberg pump is punishing...